Home AI & Web & Technology UNC System defends practices while addressing federal review – Raleigh News & Observer

UNC System defends practices while addressing federal review – Raleigh News & Observer

0
UNC System defends practices while addressing federal review – Raleigh News & Observer
UNC Chapel Hill image

Education
UNC System answers federal ‘call to action’ with confidence — and a few caveats By Jane Winik Sartwell Updated August 19, 2026 12:43 PM

Peter Hans, president of the University of North Carolina system, speaks during a meeting of UNC Board of Governors in Raleigh, N.C., Thursday, Feb. 26, 2026.

Peter Hans, president of the University of North Carolina system, speaks during a meeting of UNC Board of Governors in Raleigh, N.C., Thursday, Feb. 26, 2026. Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com

The UNC System responded Tuesday to a “call to action” letter the federal Department of Education sent to universities earlier this month. The 11-page response demonstrates the system’s confidence that it already meets the Trump administration’s demands.

The letter from Education Secretary Linda McMahon asked universities to address seven areas of primary concern for the administration: merit-based admissions, free speech, diverse viewpoints on campus, affordability, academic rigor, national security, and a prioritization of “American interests.”

McMahon asked universities to publish a statement outlining a commitment to these areas on their websites by the end of 2026. The UNC System didn’t wait until December to answer the call.

In its response, the system cites existing policy and commitments that align with these seven interest areas, positioning itself as a model and a “workhorse” that’s in harmony with the Trump administration.

Still, “Universities are always a work in progress,” the letter reads, “and we certainly do not claim to have solved all the many challenges confronting higher education.”

The UNC System says it has eliminated consideration of race, racial proxies, and racial targets in its admissions. Now, it says “these specific actions in admissions are also being considered beyond admissions practices to include the awarding of scholarships and financial aid, and all university sponsored programs and activities.”

Recently, a scholarship at UNC Wilmington once directed toward students with a commitment to the African American community was deemed out-of-step with UNC System policy. The donor plans to move the $1 million endowed scholarship away from UNC Wilmington in light of that.

Grade inflation is another area where the system acknowledges there is more work to be done.

It says it’s “deliberating how to best address grade inflation through transparent, discipline-sensitive review of grade patterns alongside evidence of learning, licensure performance where applicable, program assessment, and subsequent student success.”

“AI holds great promise,” the response continues, “but we must be vigilant about maintaining rigor in our classrooms.”

It also acknowledged that two UNC System schools did not receive a “green light” rating from the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression. Those are North Carolina A&T State University and Winston-Salem State University.

As for fears of foreign interference, the system argues that “[N]ationality or legitimate international scholarly contact should not be treated as evidence of wrongdoing.”

On Monday, the Department of Defense directed UNC-Chapel Hill to immediately conduct an audit of potentially problematic foreign research relationships, along with 29 other universities.

Foreign influence was one of several topics on which the system appears to gently push back, which also included the system’s argument that “[i]ntellectual pluralism should not be confused with a partisan quota system for ideas.”

The system says it “welcome[s] federal accountability that is clear, lawful, focused on broadly supported public needs, and respectful of constitutional rights, state governance, academic professionalism, and the distinct missions of public institutions.”

The letter is signed by Peter Hans, president of the UNC System, and Kellie Hunt Blue, chair of the UNC Board of Governors.

This story was originally published August 19, 2026 at 12:33 PM.

SEE ALSO: (Letter) https://www.northcarolina.edu/news/unc-system-responds-to-u-s-secretary-of-educations-national-call-to-action-to-university-presidents-and-governing-boards/

Continue/Read Original Article: UNC System defends practices while addressing federal review | Raleigh News & Observer


Discover more from DrWeb's Domain

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave Your Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.